Prior to commencing the Mediation process, couples will engage in the process of Pre-Mediation. This is a one-on-one telephone conference with the Family Mediator at the Deer Lake Law Group, Lisa Sirlin. At the Pre-Mediation, the Family Mediator and each party (spouse) will privately discuss:
- how Mediation works to achieve a win-win outcome for the whole family
- relationship history and any background information that should be shared
- which issues have been successfully dealt with
- which items remain outstanding
- your particular needs, such as Interim Planning or a Parenting Plan
After the Pre-Mediation is completed, the Family Mediator will contact the spouses to confirm that Mediation is appropriate for their situation (or not - as the case may be) and the steps for commencing the Mediation process.
Often times, the Family Mediator will request Financial Disclosure as part the Mediation process. Financial Disclosure includes, but is not limited to:
- 3 years of Tax Returns for both spouses
- 3 years of Notices of Assessment for both spouses
- A recent payroll stub or statement
- Information about self-employment and businesses that you own
- Financial details about your home and other properties
- Financial details about your vehicles, trailers, boats and similar
- Financial details about other property of significant value such as art, jewelry, and similar
- Most recent statements from all banking institutions for all joint and sole accounts
- Most recent statements from all jointly held and solely held credit cards
- Most recent statements from RRSP, mutual funds, private pensions, and similar
- Most recent statements from cash value Life Insurance policies
- Most recent statements from mortgages, lines of credit and other loans and debts
- Any other financial information which either spouse believes to be relevant
Family Mediation is billed at $250.00 per hour; Mediation services are exempt from PST.
Typically, 4 to 8 hours is required to finalize the settlement depending on the complexity of the issues and the degree of conflict between the parties.
Vancouver Lawyer & Notary Public Law Office, Deer Lake Law Group, Vancouver Lawyer Antonio Simoes specializing in Family Law, Separation, Divorce, Child Support, Child Custody, Marriage, Common-law, Prenuptial Agreement, Settlement, Litigation and Mediation Law Services settling court disputes with winning results.